The documentary ’25 Years of AIDS’ has 15 separate video installments that provide the viewer with an overview of the political, social, public health, and medical dimensions of the pandemic, both within the United States and globally. Clicking on the timeline: 25 years of AIDS provides a repository of documents, maps, and interviews with key informants that help in providing context to the video presentations. What the documentary in the following links.
Answer the following as completely as you can, citing examples from the film to support your answers:
1) Identify and describe 3 stakeholders in the epidemic (who were they? Why were they important? How did they either positively affect or negatively affect the definition of the problem). This could include a political figure, social/cultural figure, religious group, etc. 7.5 pts
2) What characteristics of this virus have made development of a cure difficult and why? 2.5 pts
3) Describe the “latency” phase of the virus and how this phase impacts prevention efforts. 5 pts
4) What were at least 5 common symptoms in most early patients? 2.5 pts
5) Describe at least 2 populations which were heavily impacted early on in the emergence of the disease. Explain who they were and how they were affected. 7.5 pts
6) Explain how societal discrimination negatively impacted patients and prevention efforts. 5 pts
7) Identify and explain the roles of two US agencies/departments which you feel were most impactful in efforts to address the disease. 2.5 pts
8) Identify and explain the role of one international organizations/nonprofits/or NGOs which you feel was most impactful in efforts to address the disease. 2.5 pts
9) How would you compare the US response to those of other nations? What has been the result of the US response? What ongoing issues do we face? 7.5 pts
10) How has this exercise informed your understanding of how emerging health issues, in particular rapidly spreading new or resurgent diseases, are responded to nationally and globally? In the future, how can the US avoid similar pitfalls when addressing new pandemics? In your opinion, what makes a health system best prepared to address pandemics, particularly those with associated stigma? 7.5 pts
This assignment should be written single spaced as short answer responses. Answers must be numbered. Reference to specific examples within the video should be noted in your answers. Lack of specific references will be cause for a grade reduction.