How To Write A Reflective Essay
Tips To Writing An Art Essay
Reflective writing or a Reflective Essay critically discusses personal experience and opinion in light of broader literature, theories, or subject materials.
When writing a reflective essay you should not merely describe something that happened. Nor does it mean pouring out everything you think and feel in an unstructured way. Reflective writing requires a clear line of thought, use of evidence or examples to illustrate your reflections, and an analytical approach.
Your aim here is to strike a balance between your personal perspective, and the requirements of good academic practice and rigorous thinking. This means:
- Developing a perspective, or line of reasoning
- Demonstrating that you are well informed, have read relevant literature and reflected on its relevance to your own development
- Showing that you recognize that situations are rarely simple and clear-cut
- Writing about the link between your experiences/practice and your reading
- Writing in an appropriate style
Note that different disciplines have different requirements and styles.